Parent and Family Engagement Policy
We, the parents of Sugar Loaf Elementary School, believe that the educational process succeeds best when there is a strong partnership between the home and school. Parents/families are essential partners with administrators, teachers and the District School Board. The key to this thriving partnership is communication. Therefore, parents are encouraged to:
- Attend “Meet the Teacher Night” and receive student handbook.
- Attend an annual meeting in September to inform parents and staff of our Title 1 participation, the funds and requirements that go with Title 1, the School Parent Involvement Policy and their rights.
- Attend scheduled Parent-Teacher conference days.
- Read, sign and return Home-School Partnership Compact.
- Review the Student Code of Conduct with your child prior to signing and returning to the school the written statement that you understand and consent to the responsibilities outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.
- Encourage your child to place high priority on the educational opportunities provided by the school and our district.
- Feel free to meet with the principal to ask questions, or voice concerns regarding classroom placement or assignments.
- Attend KISD Board meetings to learn more about the ongoing operations of the district.
- Exercise your right to review teaching materials, textbooks, and to receive test results that have been administered to your child.
- Become involved in planning, reviewing and organizing activities through involvement in Sight Based Decision Making (SBDM) and the Parent Advisory committee (PAC).
- Be aware of your rights to temporarily remove your child from an instructional activity that conflicts with your religious or moral beliefs. Such a removal cannot be for the purpose of avoiding a test and may not prevent the student from attending for the entire semester. However, such a removal does not exempt your child from satisfying the grade level requirements as determined by the school and the Texas Education Agency.
- Review your child’s school records, monitor their progress, and contact the teacher as needed. Take advantage of all opportunities to stay informed regarding your child’s progress and academic changes. Follow up on a matter not resolved at the campus level and seek to resolve it at the next higher administrative level according to KISD policy.
- Participate in campus parent organizations.
Parent Involvement Opportunities
- Attend Campus site-based decision-making committee meetings (SBDM).
- Become a PTO member and attend PTO meetings regularly.
- Become an active participant of the Parent Advisory Committee.
- Become a Parent/Family/Guardian Volunteer.
- Submit a background check to participate in any school activities.
- Attend family learning events and other parent training sessions as per the parent involvement surveys.
- Chaperone classroom field trips whenever needed. “Parents must provide own transportation”.
- Occasionally eat lunch with your child and/or go to recess with them.
- Read newsletter/calendar to keep you updated on school events and school board meetings.
- Listen to students read.
- Tutor or mentor a student.
- Help out at campus activities such as making costumes, field day, spring carnival and family nights.
- Attend Media Center training.
- Make games or materials at home or at the Media Center for teachers.
- Attend district and campus training sessions.
- Assist Parent Liaison.
- Assist in the library.
- Help to organize staff appreciation activities.
- Be a guest presenter in a classroom.