IS AVID FOR YOU?
What is AVID?
AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination and is a regularly scheduled elective class that prepares students in the middle, with academic potential, for success in advanced high school classes and in college.
What are the expectations for an AVID student?
• Maintain average of C or above
• Show great citizenship and attendance
• Maintain an organized binder
• Take notes everyday, in every class
• Participate in weekly tutorials
• Write, Question, Collaborate, Read
• Take Pre-AP courses
• Take PSAT, SAT, ACT tests
• Remain in program through graduation from high school
• Be a well rounded students
• Apply to several four-year colleges
What are the expectations for an AVID parent?
• Encourage their students to achieve academically
• Maintain regular contact with the AVID teacher
• Become involved in the activities of the AVID program
What happens in the AVID program?
1. Students receive academic instruction in writing, note-taking, studying, test
taking, and organizing
2. Students receive academic support form college tutors through collaborative
tutorial groups and peer counseling
3. Students are motivated to pursue academic excellence through goal setting,
rigorous classes, cultural and collegiate field trips, classroom speakers, and AVID