The History of Reeces Creek Elementary
The Original Reeces Creek School
The original Reeces Creek school was located five miles south of Killeen on what is now FM 195. Its span of service covered 58 years, from 1894-1952.
The original building was a three-room white frame structure. The room on the west end was converted into an auditorium with a stage at the north end. Three cast iron stoves heated the building. A hand crank, boxed telephone hung on the wall outside of the head teacher's room in the entrance hall. A windmill, which stood on the east side of the school was as memorable as the school itself. Many still remember the landmark. The windmil was erected above a deep well, bringing up fresh water for the refreshment of the teachers and students. Another utility was the electric lights which provided brightness on dark, cloudy days and when some kind of entertainments was on tap at night. Two outhouses, one for the boys on the south side and one for the girls on the north, took the place of indoor plumbing.
From 1949-1951 the school was contracted to Killeen Independent School District. On June 4, 1952, the Reeces Creek Common District #70 was annexed to the Killeen Independent School District. Today there is no sign of the original Reeces Creek Center of Learning, nor the windmill, except in the hearts and memories of former patron, teachers, pupils, and trustees.
Below is an image of a piece of wood from the original Reeces Creek.
Present Day Reeces Creek Elementary School
The dedication ceremony for the new Reeces Creek Elementary School was held on August 20, 1989. Marge Haedge was the first principal of Reeces Creek, and Billie Myer held the assistant principal position. This school was a 66,250 square-foot elementary school with 42 classrooms. 450 students atteneded the new school. The school was known as the Reeces Creek Critters donning the colors teal and pink.
In 1995, Phillys Hill became the principal of Reeces Creek where she remained until 2007. The school continued to grow with the growth of Killeen reaching over 800 students during this time.
Michelle Taylor took over as principal in 2007 where she remains the schools academic leader until 2019 when she retired. In 2009 the school mascot changed to the Reeces Creek Coyotes with the colors black and silver. In 2013 a new wing was added to Reeces Creek to accomodate the growing poplulation reaching over 1,300 students. The addition included 13 classrooms, additional bathrooms, spacious library, and beautiful office and clinic area.
In 2019, Reeces Creek welcomed Ms. Sara Watson as the new principal. Principal Watson was previously the principal of Timmerman Elementary School in Pflugerville ISD, where she had served since 2014. She worked for Killeen ISD for 12 years beginning in 2002 and served as principal of Meadows Elementary School for four years starting in 2010. Watson was the assistant principal of Liberty Hill Middle School for three years until 2010 and was a campus instructional specialist at Palo Alto Middle School from 2005-2007. Watson holds a master’s degree in educational administration from Tarleton State University.
Reeces Creek is currently one of the largest elementary schools in KISD serving 1,080 students. We take great pride in all of our coyotes!