Degrees and Certifications:
- This is a reminder from the Killeen ISD regarding Student Attendance.
- Our students thrive academically when they are in school on a regular basis.
- We understand that on occasion, students may be absent from school for illnesses or family emergencies; therefore, students are allowed to bring in 10 parent notes throughout the school year to excuse an absence.
- Students may become eligible for Truancy Court once they have 10 or more unexcused or un- documented absences.
- Please consult with your school’s Attendance Officer if you have concerns about your child’s attendance.
Students who miss school (full day or partial day) are REQUIRED, upon their return, to turn in a note from their parent or guardian explaining the absence. Please include your child’s name, grade, date of absence and reason for absence. Please submit notes to the ATTENDANCE/FRONT office. You may also e-mail our attendance secretary at Christine.Jackson@killeenisd.org.
Medical, dental, or legal appointments- In cases of appointments, notes from the health care or legal professionals (doctors, dentist, attorney, probation officer, judge, etc.) are required for an absence to excused.
Parent notes: There is a ten (10) parent notes limit per school year. A parent can excuse their child due to illness in lieu of a doctor’s note. However, once that limit has been reached, a doctor’s note will be required.
Unexcused Absences: states that absences with parental knowledge for reasons such as missing the bus, shopping, baby-sitting, visiting relatives, vacations, moving, extended holidays, car trouble and Oversleeping are documented as UNEXCUSED.
Truancy: A student who is absent without acceptable written documentation from school, or from any class during the school day will be considered truant and subject to disciplinary and/or court action.
Automated Attendance Calls: Killeen ISD has implemented automated attendance calls. If your child is marked absent for any period(s) of the day, you will receive a call in the morning and a call in the evening. If you believe you received a call, in error, please refer to the attendance inquiry process.
Attendance Inquires: If you believe your child was marked absent in error for a specific period, please contact the teacher that marked him/her absent. Teacher e-mails can be found on our campus webpage or thru Home Access. If your student was marked absent due to ISS, OSS, Testing or a field trip, the absence will be corrected within 3 business days.