The original Brookhaven School was located south of the old iron bridge on Post Oak Creek in an original community settlement established by pioneers coming to the Cowhouse going westward. Brookhaven, as we know it, is located on the James Conley Abstract #160.
Through the years, students who lived in the Brookhaven community were quite mobile and spent time in many different buildings. Teaching was often done in church buildings. The first school was located on Post Oak Branch and was built of cedar logs and had split rail seats. The Post Oak Branch location burned and was replaced by a small one-room plank building northwest of the Methodist Church on what is now Carter Road. After the fire, a small building became an interim place of learning. The property was owned by Rev. C.V. Oswalt, circuit riding preacher and educator. The next school was a two-room house, west of the Methodist Church. A new Methodist Church was eventually built and was used as a church and school. The school in the church lasted until an organization known as the “haymakers” began holding meetings which did not add up to standards befitting a church. The school church was nailed up and a new two-room school started. The upper grades were later carried to Killeen in the 1930’s and then in 1947 were transported to Belton.
In 1953, the federal government paid the Belton ISD $3,500 for two acres of land for which the local school district of Brookhaven paid $1.00 to the J.E. and A.H. Willes heirs and annexed to Belton. Minutes of the Bell County Board show that on June 3, 1953 the Brookhaven Common School District was taken into Fort Hood when the U.S. Government expanded the territory of Fort Hood. Part of the Brookhaven territory was taken by the development of the Belton Dam to form Lake Belton on the Leon and Cowhouse Creeks. The Brookhaven building and grounds were sold to the U.S. Government on April 7, 1954.